- PLEASE NOTE: THIS BLOG PROJECT HAS CONCLUDED. -

For new material please visit my main blog, CHEESEBURGER BROWN: SCIENCE-FICTION STORY-WALLAH.

6/05/2005

Forget Me Not


The prettiest nurse in the whole ward is named Randa.

She isn't the youngest nurse and it's fairly certain she isn't the sweetest, but there is never the less an air about her that penetrates her calm and efficient manner, relaying uninterruptibly that she is every moment a woman. The infinite crispness of her pleats cannot hide the truth broadcast by the musky, visceral reality lurking beneath. It grips me.

I tried to explain this to her after I had again succumbed to the powerful adolescent urge to palpitate her behind while she was changing sheets. "I've had a brain injury!" I cried, hiding behind my arms.

"You'll have a brain injury," she promised darkly.

She turned to leave. "Listen," I called. "Can I ask you something?" She paused tolerantly so I asked, "Has what happened to me ever happened to anyone else before?"

Simon of Space - a science-fiction novel by Cheeseburger Brown
Dear readers,

It's finally happened: the free version of this science-fiction novel has been taken offline in order to make room for the hard-cover printed edition from Ephemera Bound Publishing, on sale in stores and online beginning Valentine's Day, 2008.

I regret any disappointment. I kept the free version available as long as I could. Please be sure to check out the new edition! See Cheeseburger Brown.com for more information and updates.

Love,
Cheeseburger Brown

P.S. You can read more of my free fiction via my weblog or in the complete story achives.

16 Comments:

Blogger Token Something decreed...

Rapture oh rapture....I think it is the way you use your words. Much like painting a picture with letters. I absolutely love it.

Sun Jun 05, 11:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Cheeseburger Brown decreed...

Dear Token Something,

I believe it is technically known as being "sluttily verbose" or, in mixed company, "florid" (pronounced with the mandatory level of contempt and pity).

Thanks for tuning in.

Love,

CheeseburgerBrown

Mon Jun 06, 12:00:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

I have to agree, I love your use of language. I've been trying to write prose for years but it always come off as rather dull and uninspired. Yours is beautiful and poignant.

Mon Jun 06, 01:04:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

I must agree.. your use of language never makes it boring to read.. You're really word'y :P

Mon Jun 06, 08:13:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

Nice, really, really nice. After having read the beautiful Darth Side, the begining of this new story is quite promising. I hope to be reading your books in a nearby future, you certainly seem to be an amazing writter on the making.

A reader from Portugal

Mon Jun 06, 01:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Brendan decreed...

I'm so glad you have started another one. You have a terrific voice. Keep it up.

Mon Jun 06, 03:48:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

I love your skillful handling of the english language. One correction:

...Some patients were playing chess, or chatting listlessly. Some cried. Others minced their fingers and hummed fugues, or stared at the walls...

Are you sure you used "minced" correctly? Mince

Also, I must comment on your choice of the word "fugue." Were you aware of its psychiatric definition, or was that pure coincidence? [Fugue: A pathological amnesiac condition during which one is apparently conscious of one's actions but has no recollection of them after returning to a normal state.]

Mon Jun 06, 04:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

I'm sure he ment fugue as a musical term :)

Mon Jun 06, 07:39:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

Yes, I'm sure he did, too. However, I was curious if he was aware of its second definition. I found it extremely interesting. :)

Tue Jun 07, 12:32:00 AM EDT  
Blogger AF decreed...

Somehow, I decided to act upon the urge to say you have another reader from Portugal. At least.
Thanks for Darth's blog and for Simon's.

Tue Jun 07, 05:04:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

You're going to have many more readers in Portugal, i´m telling all my friends to check out your blogs. You´re going international ;)

Greetings to u, Af

Tue Jun 07, 10:07:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

Converterted: So to be in a state of fugue is kind of the same state as sleep walking?

Tue Jun 07, 07:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beatloaf decreed...

Weel done, Mr. Brown, well done.
Converted-I too was wondering about the use of "minced."
Perhaps there is another definition or he was somehow using it in a vernacular sense.
Cheeseburger is such a prolific and entertaining writer that we can surely forgive him for the random mistake.

Sat Jun 11, 06:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beatloaf decreed...

Now you can forgive me for the typo in my last post. Proofreading is a necessary evil.

Sat Jun 11, 06:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger razorsmile decreed...

On the matter of "fugue" I'm guessing he was using both meanings. Clever.

Mon Jun 13, 02:19:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous decreed...

Yep, definitely international. I'm Polish, living in Ireland, spreading the word about your blogs. Keep up the good work! I

Tue Sep 13, 06:00:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home